Realize Band Weight Loss Surgery
What is the Realize Band?
The Realize Band weight loss procedure falls under the category of "Gastric Restrictive" or "Gastric Banding" surgery which is a purely restrictive procedure. With Realize Band the upper stomach near the esophagus is narrowed by a specially designed band or belt (the actual "Realize Band" device) to make a smaller stomach pouch. The outlet from the pouch is restricted by a band that slows the emptying of the food and thus creates the feeling of fullness.
Advantages and Risks
- The primary advantage of this restrictive procedure is that a reduced amount of well-chewed food enters and passes through the digestive tract in the usual order. That allows the nutrients and vitamins (as well as the calories) to be fully absorbed into the body.
- After 8 years, studies show that patients can maintain about 50% of targeted excess weight loss and helps heal Diabetes.
- The adjustable gastric bands may be adjusted to change the size of the outlet from the stomach pouch.
- Postoperatively, Adjustable Banding may lead to small risk of band slippage and/or erosion.
- Banding has no stapling involvement and no cutting of bowel.
- The band or belt applied may lead to complications of obstruction or perforation, requiring surgical intervention.
- Characteristically, these procedures create a sense of fullness. Small amount of bulk type food may alleviate sense of hunger. It may be less effective for high calorie drinks and sugar-fat laden dessert.
- Because restrictive procedures rely solely on a small stomach pouch to reduce food intake, there is the risk of the pouch stretching or of the restricting band or ring at the pouch outlet breaking or migrating, thus allowing patients to eat too much. Adjustable banding has lowered the risk.
- Around 40% of patients undergoing these procedures have lost less than half their excess body weight.
- As is the case with all weight loss surgeries, readmission to a hospital may be required for fluid replacement or nutritional support if there is excessive vomiting and adequate food intake cannot be maintained.
Realize Band at the National Bariatric Center™ in Denver, Colorado
The Realize Band procedure is a newer weight loss surgery procedure performed at the National Bariatric Center™ in Denver, Colorado. Researched and developed by Johnson and Johnson, the Realize Band received FDA approval as a weight loss surgery technique in 2007. However, the actual device has been available and in use in Europe for over a decade under the name "Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band" or "Swedish Band".
The National Bariatric Center™ at Sky Ridge is one of the few premiere surgical centers in Denver to earn the esteemed status of a "Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence" a recognition backed up by numerous testimonials from patients throughout the Colorado region who have undergone Realize Band or other weight loss surgery procedures.
Start your journey today! Contact Dr. Chae today to schedule a FREE personal consultation about the gastric plication procedure. Call 303-662-1191 or schedule a consultation online.
Questions Regarding the Realize Band Procedure?
Free weight loss surgery seminars are available throughout the greater Denver, Colorado area on a monthly basis. These relaxed informational seminars are for the benefit of our patients to learn more about procedures like Realize Band. Dr. Chae and his friendly staff answer questions, discuss options, and provide information on the latest weight loss surgery news. Sign up is available online or by phone at 303-662-1191. Come join us and take your first step on the journey to a healthier you!
For those who are unable to attend a public seminar, free individual or group meetings with Bariatric specialist, Dr. Frank Chae, are available for those in the Denver and greater Colorado area, please call our friendly staff and we would be happy to assist you.
The staff of the National Bariatric Center™ in Colorado work to inform patients. If you would like further information please send us an e-mail using our online form or telephone our Denver, Colorado office at 303-662-1191. Additionally, if you are in the Colorado area and would like a personal consultation, give us a call.
National Bariatric Center™: Denver, Colorado Location
The National Bariatric Center™ is located in the Rocky Mountain heartland of America at Sky Ridge Medical Center in beautiful Lone Tree, Colorado (southern metro Denver ). Our state of the art medical center complex is situated next to highways I-25 and C-470 in the Littleton-Highlands Ranch region, and conveniently accessible to international airports in Denver and Colorado Springs .
10099 Ridge Gate Parkway, Conifer Building Suite 390
Sky Ridge Medical Center
Lone Tree , Colorado